Sunday 10 July 2016

The white cliffs of Dover

It is almost a year to the day since I bought a little old horse lorry and stood in the middle of the road, keys in hand, beaming with joy at the possibilities ahead.  Today as I type I am being gently rocked by the Channel as the truck, Skyla and I leave Britain for our European adventure! I have surprised even myself :)
And it has taken just as long to realise how much of an achievement it really is, and how proud of myself I am. Of course I speak of much more than the transformation of the truck - though I am deeply proud of that also.  The transformation that I value the deepest is the one that has been going on inside me. It's no secret that this year has been a real toughie: through facing the challenge of a career change I have not only flung up questions of what career I now want, but what I want out of life. Or to reframe that last part in the light that I now see it: what I want to give to life, and how I want to build that dream. 
People talk a lot about finding a career doing something that you love, but I think far less people are actually brave enough to go out and make it happen. It seems to me that most of us are stuck in an 'okay' status quo, reasonably pleased with the way life has turned out but not really reaching too far into our pocket of dreams. Those lucky few that do are my role models because what I have realised is that there really is no book on how to live life. There is no right or wrong or failure. No should, no ought, no if only. Just freedom to choose and freedom to pursue. 
Now of course this is where we actually come to a major stumbling block, because there are scores of people around the world who are persecuted for a multitude of reasons, who have very little freedom other that that within their minds. And it is this reason that drives me all the harder to identify my passion and go for it with everything I have.
So I guess all the above is the back story as to why I am watching the white cliffs of Dover shrink behind me. 
I feel my true calling in life is as a healer. A healer of the mind and spirit as well as the body. Those raising an eyebrow, stick with me! I believe there is so much in us and our lives that needs nourishment to allow us to be healthy and vibrant. Far more than western medicine can address. Humanity as a concept, being kind and considerate, taking time to feel grateful for small things, communicating with strangers, being open and loving rather than closed and fearful - these are things that our society is increasing starving us of. So I choose to dedicate my life to compassion, to gratitude and to humanity. It won't bring in a big salary, but I can't imagine a worthier cause to devote my life to.
Many of you will know that on the back of these life decisions I have launched a project called 'Small Acts of Kindness', or smallaok as it is on Instagram and Twitter. I am travelling around Europe in my truck and will be making and baking and cutting and sticking homemade crafts to give to complete random strangers. The aim? To bring a small moment of joy, promote openness and encourage human connections.
So here I am, approaching Calais with my drawer full of cupcakes, ready to find a small corner of the Dunkirk refugee camp in which the inhabitants and I can have a messy play day decorating and eating cakes. Something I imagine they are not likely to be doing on a normal day as they struggle to survive.


The sun setting into the sea on the first day of our adventures: Les Gravelines.

No comments:

Post a Comment