Friday 15 July 2016

Planning, patience and priorities

The pace of my life changed dramatically when we rolled off the ferry. Gone was any concept of deadline, but so too went any structure, routine or familiarity. It didn't take long to realise the I would need to shift my perspective about what a 'day' was and how to fill it. My new Maslow's hierarchy of needs came into being. Priority number one: finding a safe place to base myself. Priority number two: making sure it was somewhere with good dog friendly ambience, exercise and walking space. Priority number three, and really what made one and two work.. Being close to nature. As long as by nightfall (helpfully at the moment that is about 11pm) I have achieved these things then everything falls into place. Food is of course required but falls way behind in the importance stakes - I am pretty creative so a little rummaging and thought leads to some great little meals! 

But as I sit here this morning, the sun beaming down on our peaceful paradise, the bubble is sharply burst by the news of yet another horrific event, this time in Nice (I am vague because at my time of writing the reporting here is as vague and I don't want to falsely jump to conclusions of terrorists versus madmen). The optimistic, loving, generous world that I currently inhabit is a truth for me and for those immediately around me, but the  pain, violence and hate that lives and breeds in this world is so painful to comprehend. So painful in fact that, if we are honest, most of us are guilty of not really feeling it unless it is close to home. Not many days ago there were horrific attacks in Istanbul (and all over the Middle East in truth) that barely received a blip on the UK radar.

It concerns me that these events coupled with Brexit, the rise of UKIP and a recent rash of racist comments coming from our various politicians, are allowing a breeding ground of hate to rise within our own borders. I do not have the ego to suppose that anything I do would impact these global issues, but I do have hope that my actions can help foster openness, compassion and a recognition of the humanity within us all. And if I can have an impact just by consciously choosing to, then so can we all.  

So on I go! I have been busy baking and sharing with smallaok - the balcony of the truck is such a great spot for it and has become a bit of a smallaok hub. Loving it. My little truck and I are soon to leave La Belle France for Germany where two good friends await my arrival. Just a quick detour via a French supermarket to stock up on some delicacies and wine and we will be off!  

Just one or two pics for you first! ..

Last night..


And this morning..!
 Such a gorgeous valley view. The farmer has been out this morning turning his hay by hand 💕

Our forest run this morning.. the route marking is fantastic, there are 300km of trails in these forests, thank goodness for the amazing route marking!

No comments:

Post a Comment